Prague, Czech Republic – Vacation Packages
Prague, the capital of both the Czech Republic and Bohemia, sits astride the Vltava River about 30km above its junction with the Labe River. Prague’s prime attraction is its physical face. The city center is an open air museum of 900 years’ of architecture – Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, 19th-century revivals of all of them, and Art Nouveau – amazingly undisturbed by the 20th century. This historical core of the city – Hradcany (the Castle District) and Mala Strana (the Small Quarter) west of the river, Stare Mesto (the Old Town) and Vaclavske namesti (Wenceslas Square) to the east, and Charles Bridge in between – covers about 3 sq km and is pedestrian-friendly, so you needn’t go at break-neck speed to discover its most famous attractions.
If you’re heading to Europe and want a taste of the East, Prague will give it to you with museums documenting their foray with Communism, old-world clock towers and a central square that remains the center of everything in the city. Although no longer an ‘off the beaten path’ destination, compared with its western counterparts, Prague still has the cheapest prices around. It’s also less crowded, although if you don’t hurry, it might not be for long.
Why go to Prague, Czech Republic?
- One of the coolest-looking, diverse cities in Europe, and that’s just the buildings
- Rub shoulders in the Nove Mesto (New Town) and its shops, cafÃ©s, museums and theatres
- Bathe in the healing waters of the Bohemian spas at Karlovy Vary
- Lots of festivals and holidays mean lots of festivities and parties for hanging with locals
- Jaunt off to Krivoklat Castle, the Nezabudice Cliffs and the Macocha Abyss
For more on Prague, check out the Prague Travel Guide on BootsnAll.